The TNF gene, also known as TNF-alpha, encodes a cytokine with broad inflammatory and immune related functions.
Among the best studied TNF SNPs are two found in the promoter, both of which may influence either constitutive or induced TNF expression. These 2 SNPs are:
Other TNF SNPs include:
- rs1799964, at position -1031
- rs1800630, at position -863
- rs1799724, at position -857 or -850 (varies)
- rs4248160, at position -646
- rs1800750, at position -376
Several studied TNF SNPs lack an entry in dbSNP; these include SNPs at positions -1036, -488, -148, and +252.